MID-DAY MEAL PROGRAMME (PM-POSHAN)
- Mid Day Meal Programme has been playing a vital role in Uttar Dinajpur district covering more than 5.74 lakh students every month in 2992 nos. schools. The programme becomes instrumental in protecting children from classroom hunger, increasing school enrolment and attendance. This scheme has improved socialization among children belonging to different socio-economic background, addressing malnutrition, and social empowerment through provision of employment to women and disadvantaged.
- The administrative set-up starting from the District Magistrate as Nodal Officer, A.D.M.(MDM), Officer-in-Charge, MDM & dedicated staff members who are looking after the MDM Scheme sincerely and at the Sub-division level comprising of 02 sub-divisions namely Islampur & Raiganj and 09 Blocks & 04 Municipalities are working as monitoring as well as implementing agency. These blocks are namely, Chopra, Islampur, Goalpokher-I, Goalpokher-II, Karandighi, Raiganj, Hemtabad, Kaliyaganj and Itahar. On the other hand four municipalities are Islampur, Dalkhola, Raiganj & Kaliyaganj Municipality which are implementing the Mid Day Meal Programme.
Functions & Services offered:
- All the ADMs, SDOs, DMDCs, BDOs, Jt. BDOs, DIs, ADIs, AIs, SIs, Education Supervisors, GP staff are included in the inspection team along with Block & Municipality officials. They have been directed to regular visit at schools as per their target and report to the District Magistrate, Uttar Dinajpur. On the basis of inspection, the district administration prepared the Annual Action Plan for betterment of the children.
- Mid-day meal (MDM) is a wholesome freshly-cooked lunch served to children in government and government-aided schools in India. On 28 November 2001, the Supreme Court of India passed a mandate stating, “We direct the State Governments/Union Territories to implement the Mid Day Meal Scheme by providing every child in every Government and Government assisted Primary School with a prepared midday meal.”
- Cooked MDM is an important initiative towards the improvement of the academic performance of students along with ensures the supply of nutritious food to ensure their development to the fullest. It plays an important role in reducing the school dropout among the children. Hygiene and supply of nutritious food is an important parameter in the efficient implementation of the scheme.
- A view to enhancing enrollment, retention and attendance and simultaneously improving Nutritional levels among children and to have an important social values and foster equality as children learn to sit together and share a common meal. One can except some erosion of caste prejudices and class inequality. The National Programme of Nutritional support to Primary Education was launched as a central Sponsored scheme on 15th August 1995. NP – NSPE covered all schools of Government, Local bodies, Government Aided, AIE/EGS and Madarsas / Maktabs.
Every Child studying in the above stated schools from class I – VIII for 220 working days the Mid Day Meal shall be provided on each school day.
Contact and Email :